TRAVEL // San Francisco, California Pt. 2

Friday 19 June 2015

Hey y'all!
Can you believe it is already Friday? Now that I'm working, the weeks are just flying by and I cannot cope! I have managed to triple book myself for this Saturday (clever I know) and wish I had more days in the week. It's crazy how I was far from that just two weeks ago!

Life update over: I had just 2 days in San Francisco in the end. We were meant to have a third but ended up booking a ticket on an Amtrak Train to go down to LA. Yes, it took 14 hours but it was quite nice. I read an entire book! Before then, however, we got up to lots of shenanigans including - you got it - getting lost again.

IMG_3798

We woke up early and, of course, got lost trying to find the Amtrak station. It had moved from the Waterfront and into the city and whilst it was only a 10 minute walk away - it was not the best start to the morning! Eventually we managed to book ourselves onto the next day's Coast Starlight for a hefty $100 or so dollars. At least that was our travel down to LA sorted!

After that we went back to Pier 39 and the surrounding areas. We booked ourselves onto the Alcatraz tour in the afternoon so couldn't venture very far. I don't particularly want to ruin any of the details of going to Alcatraz but I will say that it was ridiculously interesting and well worth a visit! One piece of advice - make sure you book in advance! We only had 2 days and had to do it on one of the days. We booked it the day we got there and got the last spot for the week which, just happened to be, on the day we wanted to do it. Lucky huh!?


IMG_3832 IMG_3812 IMG_3810 IMG_3819 IMG_3825 IMG_3824

The tour costs about $30 and you can stay for as long as you'd like. Included is an audio tour which takes about an hour or so and lets you wander around the grounds at a relatively good pace. Of course, there is plenty more to see that is not mentioned in the tour and you are free to explore. I had so much to do that I literally did the audio tour and left but I would seriously consider booking the Alcatraz tour again and doing it on my own if I ever went back to San Fran for sure.


IMG_3811 IMG_3809 IMG_3823
IMG_3820

After getting back to shore we began to walk up to some sort of bus in order to get to the Golden Gate Bridge. We were doing so much in such a short period of time I am so glad it was light until 9-10pm! As the sun was beginning to set we came across the loveliest of views that I couldn't help but take photos of. The light was just perfect and I didn't want to move from that spot (but I had to otherwise no bridge!)


IMG_3837 IMG_3835 IMG_3834 IMG_3833

And finally, after getting lost again, we found our way to the Golden Gate Bridge. Let me tell you, I don't think I'll never do San Fran public transport again! It isn't golden, incase you didn't know, but was incredibly cold and windy. It's definitely a sight though and was fun walking over it. It's a must see if you are ever in the area!


IMG_2254 IMG_2255 IMG_2256 IMG_2258

So that was my trip to San Francisco! I didn't spend anywhere near enough time and am dying to go back as soon as I can. I saw a lot but nearly not enough! Gah, if only I had an unlimited travel budget - that would be the life!

Have you been to San Francisco? What are your favourite spots? Let me know!

21 comments :

  1. I would love to see the Golden Gate Bridge, though I always wonder why it's called 'Golden Gate', why not something with red in the title? I'm pretty sure I could find the answer if I Googled it.

    Just wanted to say that I love your blog, it's become one of my favourites since I discovered it a couple of weeks ago. I always look forward to reading your posts, and being very jealous at all these wonderful places you've been that I would love to go to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There may be a gate on it that is golden? I'm not sure - I think Google is needed.

      Thank you so much. That is seriously the loveliest comment. It has absolutely made my day! I'm so lucky to have visited these places and I'm just happy I have a place to share it. You have also become one of my favourite blogs - you have got to love blogging!

      :)

      Delete
  2. beautiful shots as always!

    theleeday.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. You take the most beautiful photographs! What camera do you use? Sounds like you guys got up to some right shenanigans. I'd love to visit Alkatraz, looks and sounds amazing. I imagine it's pretty eery though! xx

    Hannah x hannatalks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thank you so much! These photos are a mix of my Canon D500 SLR and my iPhone 6. They are all filtered (shhhhhh!) using Afterlight though and I really think that changes them!

      Alcatraz is a definite must see but really is quite eerie even when it's filled with people!

      :)

      Delete
  4. Alcatraz does look very fascinating to visit! I must say, I love that shot of the archway, and the boat at the end of the tracks - it's awesome! :o

    A Little Twist Of…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I won't lie - I think I took about 20 photos of it and tried like 30 different filters! I think my San Fran photos are 100% my favourite from the entire trip!

      :)

      Delete
  5. This is one of the places on my travel list, really want to do Alcatraz and the golden gate bridge at some point. Do you think that 3 days would have been enough? xx

    www.throughneweyesx.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd say it depends where you are coming from. I'm from the UK and did it on a US trip and, knowing that it'll be a long time until I go back, the 2/3 days I did was no-where near enough. If you pop on the city sightseeing bus you'd be able to see all of the main touristy bits but not for very long. There's lots and lots in the way to hikes and scenery close by (like Yosemite and Yellowstone which are easily reached from San Fran) as well as lots of museums and touristy things on the seafront. It's really quite expensive to stay there but if you can do longer, I definitely would!

      Hope this helps!

      :)

      Delete
  6. I've never been to San Francisco but have always wanted to visit. I must say, I think you were brave visiting Alcatraz, I've heard many former residents still remain there.

    http://ditsysprinkles.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely should if you can! I had never heard that and now i'm worried haha!

      :)

      Delete
  7. Ohhh, San Francisco look gorgeous! I hope you had an amazing time there, I love your photos. It just shows how beautiful San Francisco is <3

    xx Bash | Bash Says Hey | bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much lovely! It really is a gorgeous city. I really think I'd love to live there.

      :)

      Delete
  8. I'm so ridiculously bummed I didn't have more time in San Francisco! I definitely hope/have to go back soon since I didn't even make it to Alcatraz.

    Gorgeous shots lady!

    xx -n
    Naomi in Wonderland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!

      Oh no! I did everything else around Alcatraz so missed out on all of the parks and a lot of other bits. I hope to go back soon too. It's just too lovely!

      :)

      Delete
  9. Gorgeous photos! I loved visiting San Francisco when I was in America!
    Tegan xx - Permanent Procrastination

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lovely! It is just such an amazing place!

      :)

      Delete
  10. I've technically been to San Francisco but saw none of it. Now I feel like I really missed out cos these photos are gorgeous, it all looks so cute and amazing. Awesome travel post hun xx

    Sophie Elizabeth
    www.popcornandglitter.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  11. You took some stunning photographs! You're so right about the light :) It must have been incredibly interesting and even moving to visit Alcatraz - I would have felt like that anyway! Loving your travel posts - never want them to end haha!
    Rebecca | The Two Twenty Somethings
    Xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! I appreciate every single one of them and will get back to them as soon as I can :)